Skip to content

Roses for C

October 21, 2013
tags: , , , , , , ,

This little blanket is one of the few things I knit this past summer.

Months ago a lady who is involved with my son’s football league saw me knitting during practice and told me she would love a little hand knit blanked. She sings with her church choir and needed something just big enough to drape over her knees so that she could wear a skirt without giving people a peep show……….that would be quite scandalous wouldn’t it!  Oh my ;0)

Well, at the time I had too much on my plate and couldn’t add another thing but I always had it in the back of my head, kept thinking about how I wanted it structured, what kind of a pattern did I want to use.  The words that kept coming to me were simple and pretty, nothing overly complicated or dramatic looking.

The yarn was a given, I’ve had it in my stash for years, baby cotton from dale garn.  She wanted it made with yarn that wouldn’t have to be hand washed so the cotton was perfect, plus it it’s less fussy than wool and there for some how simpler in my opinion.

Going through my pattern books I kept coming back to this rose pattern.  It’s so pretty, rather simple but I thought it might look a little over whelming, but I went with it anyway and am happy with the results.

I have very mixed emotions about giving or selling my hand knits, I can’t quite pin point what it is.  I love to create with yarn and needles, but knitting is so much to me, it does so much for me.  It’s like reading a good book, I can get lost in it, forget things I don’t want to think about at that moment.  So much of me goes into it and then to just let it go…..I don’t know, I find it hard.  Kind of just like giving my baby away…….am I odd?  Or just plain crazy??!!  In general I don’t have a problem with giving, but I worry that people won’t love my knits as much as I do, won’t take care of them the way I would, won’t wear them with as much love and pride as I would…………yeah, maybe a little crazy……but I’m sure (kinda hoping actually) that there are more of you out there that feel that way cause that would make me feel a lot less……..nutty!

Have a beautiful day and knit away……..if you can find the time;)

8 Comments leave one →
  1. October 21, 2013 7:46 pm

I know exactly what you mean. When I give a hand-knit away I’m always worrying that the new owner won’t love it to death. The last thing I knit was a beanie that I gave to a guitarist friend of mine. I was so worried Taylor wouldn’t think it was ‘guy enough’ for him, but he loves it. Honestly it’s things like that that allow me to knit for others. you’re not alone. ;)

• October 21, 2013 9:12 pm

I figured there had to be more knitters like that! It’s just so hard, I honestly wish I could get visitation rights or at least call every now and then to see how my knits are doing………my babies!

2. October 22, 2013 6:27 am

I love your blanket. So elegant. I know what you mean about giving away your creations.
    I think I fall a little in love with everything I spend more than a little time on. I think I associate my makes with what is going on around at the time. For example, a particular cushion was created during that Christmas holiday when my daughter was 9 and everyone got the flu. Another one was completed during a particular wonderful holiday. So its like giving a little piece of history away

• October 22, 2013 9:35 am

I think that’s exactly it, it becomes a part of your memories and it’s hard to let go.

3. October 22, 2013 9:10 am

Totally with you on this. Small things Ok but you put so much into the larger things, not just time and money.

• October 22, 2013 9:35 am

Exactly! So glad I’m not the only one out there! :)

4. October 23, 2013 11:06 am

Very kind of you! You’re definitely not crazy. I fall in love with every single piece I knit, and I find it hard to give away. Sometimes I try to pick yarns that aren’t exactly my taste to wear, but that rarely helps keep me from wanting the item. I’m comforted by the fact that now that I have a baby and husband to make things for, I get to see lots of these items in use on a regular basis. That eases the pain of giving away all of those knitted babies.

• October 23, 2013 8:10 pm

That is one great reason for having kids, you get to knit for them! :)